National Educational Technology Standards for Students (NETS-S) - As foundational technology skills penetrate throughout our society, students will be expected to apply the basics in authentic, integrated ways to solve problems, complete projects, and creatively extend their abilities. ISTE's NETS for Students (2007) help students prepare to work, live, and contribute to the social and civic fabric of their communities.
- Be open-minded about sharing work, educational experiences, and life as part of the learning process.
- Be able to communicate through writing and other tools.
- Be self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- Be willing to "speak up" if problems arise.
- Be willing and able to commit to 7 to 9 hours per week per course, which is equal to the amount of time spent in the traditional classroom and homework.
- Accept critical thinking and decision making as part of the learning process.
- Have access to a computer and the internet.
- Be able to think ideas through before responding.
- Feel that high quality learning can take place without going to a traditional classroom.
Would you be a successful online student?
Answer the following questions by placing the correct number in the blank that tells how much the statement describes you as a student.
- 3 = Describes me exactly
- 2 = Describes me a little
- 1 = Does not describe me
- I know how to use the computer as a tool for learning. ____
- I know how to read, understand and follow written directions. _____
- I know how to send and receive email and use Word to write. _____
- I know how to search and navigate the Internet. _____
- I know how to plan my time and submit my assignments on schedule. _____
- I am self-motivated, self-directed, self-disciplined and use my time efficiently. _____
- I am willing to contact my teachers by telephone and by email to get help when needed. _____
- I know how to organize my day and make time for my studies. _____
- I enjoy working independently without other students nearby, not to say you will be working with other students as well. _____
- I know that my success online is entirely my responsibility to do the work, participate, ask questions, give help and ask for help. _____
- I know how to express myself through writing. _____
- I am willing to spend about 51/2 hours per weekday at my computer and track my time. This is the time that would be spent in the traditional classroom and if you were taking all your classes virtually. _____
- I am willing to spend an additional 1-2 hours per weekday doing other assignments. _____
- I am responsible and know how to use and care for school equipment. _____
- I am honest and can be trusted to do my own course work and assignments. _____
- (45-35) = Highly Successful
- (34 - 25) = Successful, but may need help to stay on task
- (< 24) = Online Instruction may not be your best option